Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

Well, I figured I should write today since this day only comes but once every four years. Also, it's been a couple weeks since I last wrote and the next couple will probably be pretty busy for us as well. For Matt's birthday this year, I got tickets for us to go and see the Lion King which is being performed in Richmond. That's what we will be doing this Friday night, after which we will be driving up to Matt's parents because the next day Matt's cousin, Michael, is having an open house for his recent marriage there. Unfortunately, we will have to leave that same night after the open house because I have to be back on Sunday to do Singing Time in Primary. I'm pretty certain I'll be exhausted after the weekend but hopefully I'll be able to catch up because the next week is spring break for Matt! So during spring break we are going on a cruise out of Baltimore as a babymoon/first anniversary celebration. We are so excited to go, I'm a huge advocate of cruises as vacations, especially if one of your goals is to relax.

I'm officially in the second trimester of my pregnancy, thank the heavens. I'm 15 weeks as of Sunday and while I'm still tired a lot of the time, I'm feeling so much better. I've been able to go to the gym more and even go to the store all by myself. I had a doctor's appointment at the beginning of the week and got to hear the baby's heartbeat. They found it right away with the Doppler and baby's heart rate was 160 bpm. It's pretty surreal to hear a second heart beat coming out of your body. In a month we will find out the baby's gender and we can't wait. The doctor said my vitals were good and that I've gained 0.8 pounds so far. I still don't really think I'm obviously showing but the weight on the scale is increasing so there's something afoot.

15 Weeks Along
For comparison, here is the picture at 13 weeks.



Honestly, it's hard for me to not freak out about the weight gaining thing. I was pretty chubby all growing up and have had bouts as an adult as well so I'm sensitive to the issue. Gaining weight was one of the things I was most worried about when I thought about getting pregnant. I know it sounds so vain, but I remember so clearly what it felt like to be overweight and it's something that really gets in your head and stays with you into adulthood. So even though I know logically that I'm supposed to gain weight, it's hard not to have a mini panic attack when I step on the scale and find that I weigh more than the last time. Especially since for the first three months there was a distinct decline in the number on the scale.

On to happier things. My appetite is returning, though with the acid reflux and indigestion, the portions I eat are smaller than they used to be. One thing that I've really enjoyed, and have had a couple times is...


Yep, a cherry Icee with a soft pretzel and fake cheese a la Target. I don't know what it is, but it's just so satisfying. It really reminds me of being a kid, too. I would love to go to Target with my mom and get an Icee while we were shopping. I also have fond memories of being at the mall with my mom and getting a soft pretzel with cheese dip. I guess growing a child has made me nostalgic for certain foods I ate as a child. Anyway, I hope everyone is having a delightful Leap Day!

3 comments:

  1. you kind of just made me want to go to target...you are so pretty and so skinny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i craved nacho cheese and salty pretzels a lot my first half of pregnancy! I didn't crave a lot of things but the first half I wasn't into sweets as much as I normally as (which is a lot) and loved salty things. Your body craves what it needs apparently.

    Ok and second thing, I totally understand the weight gain. I gained 40 pounds! I was prepared for 30 because that's what they said was normal but they it was 32, 35, 38...and I was worried. Just repeat to yourself that it's the baby and he/she needs blood and water and weight gain and that he/she is becoming more and more healthy with weight gain. I had friends who gained 55 and 60 pounds so don't be worried. Also, I only lost 7 pounds when I came home from the hospital and Adam was 8 pounds! Plus all the fluid and blood! I was shocked I didn't lose more. But it came off eventually - breastfeeding helps a ton! You burn calories as you feed your baby! Bodies are amazing and yours is doing great!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gaining weight is much less healthy, you know that. Just keep exercising (walking--don't overdo it) and you will be just fine! You look great girl! :)

    ReplyDelete