Sunday, February 12, 2012

Some *little* Big News

So I have kind of disappeared from the blogosphere for the past couple of months, but with good reason. In the middle of December Matt and I found out that we were going to be parents! We were really excited (and terrified) when we found out. I had been really tired and nauseous for a couple weeks before taking the test but I also got a sinus infection and was on antibiotics so I thought maybe that was contributing to the nausea. I didn't really want to get my hopes up but I think some part of me knew. We found out the week before Christmas when we were staying with Matt's parents and so they knew right away but we wanted to wait to tell my family when we flew to Oregon the next week. We were already aware at this point that Matt's younger sister, Kara, was expecting, but on Christmas morning we also found out that Matt's oldest sister, Ashby, was also expecting. Then when we went to Oregon to see my family we found out my sister, Carrie, is also pregnant. Carrie and Ashby are due about a day apart. I'm due a couple weeks later. So there will be four babies that I'm related to born within a month and a half of each other. I know, crazy!



My official due date is August 20, 2012. So today I'm 13 weeks. Thankfully. This brings us to the reason I've been so out of it lately. Once I hit about 5 1/2 weeks, I started feeling super sick all the time. Unfortunately, this started when we got to Oregon on Christmas. I spent most of the week in bed which really put a cramp in the plans I had for what to do while we were there. Thankfully I have a very understanding family who was just glad that I was home. But that was the start to the next eight weeks of basically feeling like death all the time. Every pregnancy is different so it's impossible to know ahead of time what it is going to be like for you and what it will be like for others who are pregnant at the same time as you. For me it meant basically being in bed and not being able to do anything without dry heaving or throwing up (TMI?). Though I was hungry pretty often, nothing ever sounded appetizing so eating became a serious chore. The thought of sweets made me want to hurl which meant that I didn't have any of the delicious treats during the holidays. I guess it helped me to not gain extra holiday weight. And the whole not being able to eat thing has ironically helped me to weigh less now than I did before I was pregnant (or even when I got married).

I always had these grandiose ideas of how I would experience pregnancy and how I would try to be fit and exercise daily and eat well. Let's just say that showering became exercise for me because by the time I was done, it was game over for the day. I have to say, though, I am very blessed to have good friends in Richmond. One of which has continually gone out of her way to check up on me, bring us meals, treats, and bread, and visit me while I have practically not left the apartment since returning from Christmas break. Those little acts of kindness and concern often brought me to tears because I'm so used to being able to take care of myself that asking for and being offered help has been a tender mercy.


At 11 Weeks- I couldn't believe how clear this picture
was. I mean, I can see the nose.

Thankfully, during the past week I have started to feel more like myself, I've been able to clean and cook some meals and do a little baking. It's pathetic how much of an accomplishment that feels to me now, but just being able to stand up for any length of time feels miraculous. Though I'm not completely back to feeling human, the little glimpses I've had this week have really bolstered my hope. My mom told me that she had been really worried about me since there are some women who are ill their whole pregnancy, including my dad's mom. I had never been told this but apparently, she was terribly sick with both of her pregnancies. She was so sick with my dad (the youngest) that they encouraged her to abort him. She nearly died from having him and once she had the doctors told her that she could absolutely not have any more because she would die from it. It really made me appreciate her, the grandmother who died a few years before I was born. Anyway, it really relieved my mom to hear I had been having some good days because it's always been a concern for her that one of her daughters would take after our paternal grandmother.

Matt and I love how you can see the little hands and feet!

So as of now, I don't think I really look that pregnant even though the baby is the size of a peach. I can still fit into my old clothes (some even better than before), though I usually end up in sweats or pajamas. Matt and I can't wait until the end of March when we find out what gender the baby is! Matt gets so excited when talking about having a baby, he especially is excited for the little fingers and toes. At this point, I'm just grateful to be getting out of the first trimester and crossing my fingers that the second will be the "honeymoon trimester," as I've heard it termed. But here are a couple of pictures of me at 13 weeks. Nothing glamorous, I just wanted to be able to track the belly.


Sorry, it's a little blurry

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Congrats! The morning sickness is a killer. I hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Glad to hear you are having better days. Hopefully you'll have more and more of those in the coming days and weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for being pregnant! Morning sickness definitely sucks...I lost weight too. Hopefully you start feeling better and better. Our babies will have to have playdates in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how it was even possible for you to lose weight! I look forward to our babies playing together. Who knows, maybe we are producing the next generation of the Three Musketeers (with Shelby of course). I can't wait to see your little bundle of joy!

      Delete
  4. Yay! Glad to hear that you made it out of the first trimester and into some more pleasant days! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again! You look so skinny! Can't wait for this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am SO happy for you! Congratulations! And you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for saying I look amazing haha. I'm sure that won't last too much longer : )

      Delete
  7. We're so excited for you and for our little babe to not only have one but TWO cousins super close in age! Next year's beach trip will be a crazy party of almost 1 year olds :). I'm glad that you're finally starting to phase out of the super sickness phase. I hope the second trimester is much more pleasant!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you've been feeling so poorly! We've been praying for you and hope that you get some more decent days. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! It's looking up so your prayers are working!

      Delete